Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Waiting Game




We have been at childrens for almost two whole days now. Michael has been doing pretty good, he has been pretty stable. He has been able to nurse and take a bottle. One of his Belly button lines has been removed. The first night he was here, we actually went home to stay with our daughter, we both miss her so much! We both feel very guilty that we have not really seen her all week. So that first night we went home and did a few errands and let her know how much we loved her.  Last night was our second night here, we knew the surgery was scheduled for today so neither of us really slept. Bryt was up and down all night pumping and checking on Michael, I was up and down all night because his alarms kept going off and I am paranoid.  Our nurses have been very patient with me... I ask a lot of questions and pay attention to every little detail. Last night I was just going and grabbing random nurses and pulling them into our room to explain all of the alarms.. Finally the charge nurse came in and told me about every single thing on the screen and explained why each one was going off in detail. I felt much more comfortable after knowing a bit more about them.

It's about 12:30pm now, Michael has been in surgery for about four and half hours. As they wheeled him off this morning both of us filled with tears and sadly watched him go through to the operating room. Our Nurse was very confident and did all he could to comfort us. It was nice, but we also both just wanted to sit there and cry all day. We both know this was a necessary surgery and are very confident in our two surgeons. The last update we got was that they are heating up his body and starting his heart again.

 We have been warned by multiple people that he will be very 'accessorized' when he comes out of the Operating room. This has been the worst part of the entire experience so far. Bryttney has been amazing, we are trying to be as optimistic and  logical as possible. Being in a situation like this is almost surreal. You think you wouldn't be able to handle it, but some way, some how, you just cope with whatever you are presented with and slowly digest it. There are so many families surrounding us in this Cardiac Unit. Every single one of them has a unique case and every single one of them is more worried about the other people in here. It's weird how people from all walks of life can come together and genuinely love each other the moment they meet. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful support system behind me, and to have  so many people praying and cheering for my dear son. He is only 4 days old, but I love him so much more than I could have imagined. I also still love my daughter more than anything else in the world. Being a father of multiple children has got to be one of the best things this life has to offer, it suddenly puts everything into perspective when you sit and reflect on it. I'm getting butterflies now, Michael will be out of the operating room soon. I will post pics if i can.

No comments:

Post a Comment