Saturday, April 7, 2012

This isn't for show

We got to see him around 3:30pm this afternoon. His surgery went well and the doctors are confident they fixed the problem with the Aortic arch.  As we approached his bed, we were trying to prepare for the 'accessories' we were warned about. I was extremely happy to see him, he looks amazing and I know he is in a better situation than this morning. But seeing your child like this is something no one ever wants to see.
I am not willing to post any pictures of my sweet son like this. He is connected to so many machines and has so many things draining out of him and measuring his vitals, and like 10 different medicines going into him. I completely broke down. I don't know how to explain my emotions, it was nothing I could have prepared for. I had to leave his room, and cried the whole way down the hall, then was able to pull it together for a short elevator ride. I stepped off the elevator and broke down again, I went into the bathroom to wash my face, I could not stop crying. My precious son has been through so much in this new life. The good thing is that he does not know any different, this is all normal to him.  He also has a working aorta now, pumping blood evenly to his body. His little legs are not purple anymore and we are down to one O2 sensor.  
After taking a shower and a short rest, I am able to deal with this overwhelming visual a little better. His numbers are looking good and the charge nurse I kept bothering last night is going to be with Michael all night. He is her only baby, I know we are in very good hands tonight... and she knows I am a paranoid question machine..

No comments:

Post a Comment