Monday, October 8, 2012

The Common Cold


We were spending Saturday night at my brothers house. Zoey and Michael both had colds and Michael had been extra fussy the last few hours we were there. Michael was crying and coughing so hard that he began to throw up. They think he might have aspirated some of the throw up or he had a few apnea spells where he stopped breathing for a few minutes. Needless to say I was terrified. I put him in his car seat to take him to urgent care but he started doing it again. All the color left his body and he went limp. My brother quickly called 911 and I went with Michael in an ambulance to Children's Hospital Aurora.



The ambulance driver did an EKG on Michael and printed it out for me to see. He said "you can probably read this better than me now". He might have that right. The EKG looked pretty good which made me feel confident that we were dealing with Michael's cold and not his heart. We soon arrived to the emergency room at Children's. Once inside Michael's nurses came to his rescue. There must have been six or seven people surrounding him all laughing and smiling at this cute little boy. Sometimes I think he just misses his nurses and needs a good dose of attention. He's big enough this time to fit into a hospital gown. It is absolutely adorable on him. Jaron and Michael's uncle Miah showed up shortly after. I'm pretty sure Jaron was driving just as fast as the ambulance. All of Michael's vitals were good although his heart rate was a little elevated. They began trying to get an IV in which if you've read our earlier posts you know it's next to impossible. They again poked all over and finally got one. Michael was so angry and it was so hard to watch him be so upset. We were told shortly after that they were going to admit him and keep him overnight for observation. I had a sinus flare up from freaking out and because of my cold symptoms I wasn't allowed in the unit with Michael. Jaron went up with him and began the stay on the 9th floor in the CPCU.





The Champ is back. Michael is being a little trooper. He is so strong. The nurses have to deep suction him with a suction tube that goes down his nose. His congestion and cough are so bad that they are also testing him for Pertussis (Whooping Cough). Pertussis in infants and baby's under 6 months can be fatal. Michael isn't showing severe signs of this and we are still waiting for the results. They are going to keep him until at least Tuesday morning. Jaron is working from the hospital and I am staying home sick with Zoey. We are finally starting to feel better but there is no chance I'm bringing any sicknesses into that hospital. Those kids are going through enough.

Thank you again to everyone who has been helping us and keeping us in your prayers. Hopefully Michael will be home again soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment